Warning: Use of undefined constant user_level - assumed 'user_level' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/public/blog/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-google-analytics/ultimate_ga.php on line 524
On November 30, 2017, I presented a short talk on the Toymaker Project and technological empowerment at MassArt as part of the event Sex & Sexuality in Art & Design. Here you’ll find my slides, video (once available), and lots of additional resources.
- Talk Slides
- References and Resources
- Additional Information about my work and experiences as a sex-positive entrepreneur
References and Resources
If you’re interested in getting started making your own sex toys out of silicone, here are some references that might be helpful:
- If you want to design your toy (or mold) programmatically, I recommend OpenSCAD (free and open-source, available for Linux/Unix, Windows, & Mac). Thanks to Mr. O, you can find more information and sample code for designing sex toys in OpenSCAD on this blog at “Better Sex Through Trigonometry.”
- SculptGL by Stéphane Ginier is an open-source, web-based application that lets you do organic modeling from the browser.
- If you want to 3D print your mold and then cast from that, I recommend the video “Silicone Sex Toys with 3D Printing – Part 1” by SexShop3D.
- If you want to try 3D printing directly in silicone, you’ll need a paste extruder. Watch “Silicone Sex Toys with 3D Printing – Part 2″ by SexShop3D for more info.
- Jimmie P. Rodgers and I (in cosplay) gave a one-hour intro to casting and moldmaking with a focus on working with silicone in January 2015. The slides and video are available on this blog at “Fun with Silicone.”
- I use platinum-cure silicones from Smooth-On, which I buy from Reynolds Advanced Materials in Brighton, MA. I’ve written more about my materials in “Working with Silicone for DIY Sex Toys.” Yes, you can ask Reynolds Advanced Materials about making sex toys!
teasecraft sex/kink-positive maker meetup
Have questions about making sex-positive stuff? Come visit teasecraft, a Boston-area meetup group for folks interested in making their own kinky and fun things. I’ve been co-organizing meetups for over five years, and we have a really great community.
Additional Information About My Work
- During this talk, I demonstrated the latest version of The Hammer (Burning Man 2013 Edition), which was also featured in Dig Boston. I gave a tech talk at Arse Elektronika 2012 about the original Hammer, which Cracked.com named the #1 geekiest sex toy of all time.
- I spend most of my time these days on launching a new nonprofit, the Effing Foundation for Sex-Positivity. Our mission is to reduce sexual shame by fostering sex-positive art and education. The best way to keep up with us is to subscribe to our monthly email newsletter at http://effing.org/ or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.