On May 27, 2018, I moderated a panel featuring panelists Alex Heberling, Blue Delliquanti, and ‘trie blasingame entitled “Hot Off The Presses: Creating & Enjoying Inclusive, Sex-Positive Erotic Comics” at WisCon 42. Here you’ll find our slides and lots of links!
Our Panelists & Their Sex-Positive Work
- Alex Heberling (@alexheberling, she)
- Colorist for Evil Inc After Dark and Courting Disaster by Brad Guigar (Patreon-exclusive; print book of Evil After Dark)
- Future home of Alex’s NSFW work: @alexxxheberling
- Current home of Alex’s SFW series: http://thehues.alexheberling.com
- Alex is also on Patreon!
- Blue Delliquanti (@bluedelliquanti, she/they)
- “Miles and Honesty” and “The First Time” available at Blue’s itch.io storefront
- “Love Triangulation” will be in the upcoming anthology Smut Peddler: Sex Machine from Iron Circus Comics
- ‘trie blasingame (@tentaclemade, they)
- Work in progress: A Glittering Venery
- Where to find tentacle-made studios:
- where to support and buy tentacle-made studios’s art:
- other projects ‘trie is involved in:
- Moderator: Kit Stubbs, Ph.D. (@vortacist, they)
- Founder & Executive Director, The Effing Foundation for Sex-Positivity (@effingfound). Please consider making a tax-deductible donation as part of your charitable giving this year!
- Co-organizer of teasecraft kinky maker meetups
- Alex likes
- Oglaf (2008-present) by Trudy Cooper and Doug Bayne
- Titty Time (2013) by Amanda Lafrenais
- Blue likes
- Yes, Roya (2016) by C. Spike Trotman and Emilee Denich
- The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal (2009-14) by EK Weaver (books available through Iron Circus)
- Letters for Lucardo (2017) by Noora Heikkilä
- ‘trie likes
- Lost Verse (2017) by by Shing Yin Khor (aka Sawdust Bear)
- Xanadu (1988) by Vicky Wyman
- STEREK COMIC3 (2013) by Romax Slashpalooza
- plus these two more not featured in the slides:
- Sex Criminals (2013 – ongoing) by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky
- ODY-C (2014-2016) by Matt Fraction and Christian Ward
- Kit likes
- XXXenophile (1988-2000) by Phil Foglio et al. (formerly at www.xxxenophile.com but that link doesn’t seem to work anymore, and it’s not available at Comixology)
- Smut Peddler (2012, 2014) edited by C. Spike Trotman, you can buy physical or electronic copies through Iron Circus Comics
- Shades of A (2013-2014) by Tab Kimpton
Other Recommendations and Resources
- We touched briefly on the challenges of finding credit card processing for erotic art and sex work; I’ve written about this here as Your Kink Is Not MasterCard’s Kink.
- FOSTA and SESTA are a misguided online surveillance bill that was passed by Congress and signed by the President in April 2018. Sex workers have clearly spoken out against it as has the Electronic Frontier Foundation — it’s censorship that takes away online tools that sex workers use to stay safe. Information on its impact so far and what you can do to help is available via Fiesty Fox Films.
- In terms of resources for people who are interested in reclaiming their sexuality after trauma: Faye Hermine, the Survivor Theatre Project (MA), More Than NO (LA); a couple of articles I’ve found are “Enjoying Sex After Abuse Is Possible, So Here Are 5 Ways To Start Healing” and “The Therapists Helping Sexual-Trauma Survivors Relearn to Love Sex”.
- Audience recommendation: Dan Savage’s HUMP! Film Festival
- Blue recommends the comic from the 2014 Smut Peddler by Lin Visel and JB3 (interesting drawn effects, including “boob blur”).
- ‘trie recommends Michael DeForge’s art as sensual, sexual, and at times trippy.
- We talked briefly about the difference between erotic art or comics and photo and video, referencing The Dream of the Fisherman’s Wife.
- Several panelists recommend Oh Joy Sex Toy as a sex-positive webcomic, which includes toy reviews, education, and some smutty comics, including “Planetrise Delight” by panelist Blue!
- For folks who like comics, ‘trie recommends “The Wednesday Club” on Geek & Sundry.
- Audience recommendation: Archer, for representations of women who are sexually empowered.
- ‘trie recommends Meghan Tonjes as a body-positive/fat vlogger and sex toy reviewer.
Best panel ever.
Aw, thanks! :) Thanks so much for attending! – Kit