Warning: Use of undefined constant user_level - assumed 'user_level' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/public/blog/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-google-analytics/ultimate_ga.php on line 524
On May 27, 2018, I moderated a panel featuring panelists Alex Heberling, Blue Delliquanti, and ‘trie blasingame entitled “Hot Off The Presses: Creating & Enjoying Inclusive, Sex-Positive Erotic Comics” at WisCon 42. Here you’ll find our slides and lots of links!
Our Panelists & Their Sex-Positive Work
- Alex Heberling (@alexheberling, she)
- Blue Delliquanti (@bluedelliquanti, she/they)
- ‘trie blasingame (@tentaclemade, they)
- Work in progress: A Glittering Venery
- Where to find tentacle-made studios:
- where to support and buy tentacle-made studios’s art:
- other projects ‘trie is involved in:
- Moderator: Kit Stubbs, Ph.D. (@vortacist, they)
- Alex likes
- Blue likes
- ‘trie likes
- Kit likes
- XXXenophile (1988-2000) by Phil Foglio et al. (formerly at www.xxxenophile.com but that link doesn’t seem to work anymore, and it’s not available at Comixology)
- Smut Peddler (2012, 2014) edited by C. Spike Trotman, you can buy physical or electronic copies through Iron Circus Comics
- Shades of A (2013-2014) by Tab Kimpton
Other Recommendations and Resources
- We touched briefly on the challenges of finding credit card processing for erotic art and sex work; I’ve written about this here as Your Kink Is Not MasterCard’s Kink.
- FOSTA and SESTA are a misguided online surveillance bill that was passed by Congress and signed by the President in April 2018. Sex workers have clearly spoken out against it as has the Electronic Frontier Foundation — it’s censorship that takes away online tools that sex workers use to stay safe. Information on its impact so far and what you can do to help is available via Fiesty Fox Films.
- In terms of resources for people who are interested in reclaiming their sexuality after trauma: Faye Hermine, the Survivor Theatre Project (MA), More Than NO (LA); a couple of articles I’ve found are “Enjoying Sex After Abuse Is Possible, So Here Are 5 Ways To Start Healing” and “The Therapists Helping Sexual-Trauma Survivors Relearn to Love Sex”.
- Audience recommendation: Dan Savage’s HUMP! Film Festival
- Blue recommends the comic from the 2014 Smut Peddler by Lin Visel and JB3 (interesting drawn effects, including “boob blur”).
- ‘trie recommends Michael DeForge’s art as sensual, sexual, and at times trippy.
- We talked briefly about the difference between erotic art or comics and photo and video, referencing The Dream of the Fisherman’s Wife.
- Several panelists recommend Oh Joy Sex Toy as a sex-positive webcomic, which includes toy reviews, education, and some smutty comics, including “Planetrise Delight” by panelist Blue!
- For folks who like comics, ‘trie recommends “The Wednesday Club” on Geek & Sundry.
- Audience recommendation: Archer, for representations of women who are sexually empowered.
- ‘trie recommends Meghan Tonjes as a body-positive/fat vlogger and sex toy reviewer.