Warning: Use of undefined constant user_level - assumed 'user_level' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/public/blog/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-google-analytics/ultimate_ga.php on line 524
What is the Effing Foundation?
It’s a nonprofit that I’ve founded with the mission to reduce sexual shame and normalize conversations around human sexuality by promoting sex-positive art and education. I’ve been working towards getting this organization off the ground for about six years now, and I’ve shared many of my adventures on this blog.
What are you raising money for?
For artists and educators whose work centers on human sexuality, finding financial support can be extremely difficult. I’ve certainly run into hurdles in setting up the Foundation, but it’s even more difficult for the artists and educators I’ve met along the way. The Effing Foundation is launching a grant program to help meet this need.
Our first step is raising $40,000 to fund eight $5,000 pilot grants to eight amazing sex-positive projects. These candidate projects include:
- The Adipositivity Project by Substantia Jones (NYC) — nude portrait series of fat models (including queer/trans models and models of color); empowering fat people as unapologetically sexual beings through artistic photography
- Afrosexology by Dalychia & Rafaella (St. Louis, MO) — education, exploration, and reclaiming of Black sexuality through a new video series featuring Black people of varying genders and sexual orientations discussing their sexualities
- eros&persephone by Lola Rose Eros (LA) — an exploration of the human psyche through the lens of sexuality as a series of short videos by a Black transmasculinefemme self-taught artist; the stories include concepts such as safer sex practices, enthusiastic consent, scene negotiation, queer identities, gender expression, relationship dynamics, kink, and fetish
- More Than No (LA) and Survivor Theatre Project (Boston, MA) — theater workshops & performances that empower survivors of sexual violence, regardless of gender or sexual orientation
- PolyDallas Millennium Symposium by Ruby Johnson, LCSW (Dallas, TX) — PolyDallas Millennium is a sex-positive sexual health symposium that is a platform for marginalized and oppressed groups. We provide education on ethical non-monogamous relationships in an oppressive and stigmatizing society. Educators, activists, and community leaders that are representative of the attendees engage the audience in shared language and experiences. PolyDallas Millennium is a symposium that has space and joy for all communities and all ways of being.
- Sex Ed A Go Go by Dirty Lola (NYC) — informative & entertaining variety show featuring sex educator Lola and a wide range of guests
- ( ) (“whole”) (NYC) — collaboration between performance company the A.O. Movement Collective & queer/feminist collective AORTA films; body-positive, queer erotic art film including performers who are queer/trans people of color
Why should I make a donation?
If you value the work that I do on this blog — my geeky toys, my DIY tips on working with silicone, my sex/tech talks — this is a concrete way to show your support and to pay it forward to other amazing artists and educators. (All contributions are tax-deductible, too!)
What if I can’t afford to donate now?
No worries! Next year we’ll be looking for folks to become monthly contributors (at just $1 or $5 per month), and so that will be one opportunity to give back.
Are you ready to support sex-positive art and education?
Visit the Effing Foundation website to donate now!